Classic recipes, like classic styles are timeless. There are not too many recipes more classic at Christmas than sugar cookies. For most of us, our sugar cookie recipes are learned from our mothers and grandmothers. They're handed down (just like our clothes!).
Classic Sugar Cookie Recipe:
- 2 and 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1.5 sticks of butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
1. Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in one bowl.
2. In the bowl of your stand mixer beat the butter and sugar together smooth and creamy.
3. Next add in the egg and vanilla extract. Beat for another minute or two.
4. Next add the bowl with the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mix and mix on low until a dough forms.
5. Place the dough in saran wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
6. Once the dough is chilled, dust your surface with flour and roll out the dough.
7. Use cookie cutters to make Christmas shapes.
8. Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
10. Let cool completely and then decorate!
For the icing:
Mix two cups of confectioners sugar, 1 tsp of vanilla extract and 3 tablespoons of milk with a whisk. Add food coloring if you want festive colors!
Classic Christmas Styles:
Looking for classic fall styles to go along with your classic baking? Grab some of our plaids and velvet and they'll be enjoyed and passed down just like your family recipes.